|History of Havelock Elementary School
|The school known as Havelock Elementary was built in 1942 as a six-classroom school to accomodate the children of Marine personnel and Civil service workers in Havelock. Originally called "Cherry Point Elementary School," the building added six classrooms and an auditorium in 1946. During the next ten years, the school also served as the site for public gatherings, such as civic club meetings, church services, Sunday school, and scout headquarters.
In 1950, six more classrooms and a cafeteria were added, along with purchasing a bus to transport students. However, a large student population in and around Havelock required the use of ten mobile classrooms at the school. In 1953, Graham A. Barden Elementary School was completed to relieve Cherry Point Elementary School of its overcrowding. Unfortunately, overcrowding was still a problem. In the meantime, the name changed to Havelock Elementary School. Students in 5th grade, from 1957-1958, had to attend classes in the "Flat-tops" located between Havelock Elementary School and what was the "old" front gate at the end of Cunningham Boulevard. Students walked to and from the classes each day to eat in the cafeteria on the main campus.
Havelock's continued growth demanded even more classrooms, and West Havelock Elementary School was completed in 1961. Havelock Elementary School then became known as Havelock Junior High School.
In 1971, the completion of Havelock High School allowed Havelock Junior High to change back to Havelock Elementary School, which housed grades K through 6 for a number of years, until Tucker Creek Middle School was built. Havelock Elementary School currently enrolls children in grades K through 5.
Havelock Elementary School was the oldest functioning school in Havelock. It is proud of its heritage and of all the children who have graced the classrooms with their presence. If only its "walls" could have talked, they would have told many wonderful stories. Now, it is up to members of the staff, those who attended "her", and other community members to hold on to the stories, ideals, and quality she has been associated with for over 60 years. The building may have changed but the spirit is still alive and will continue to provide a nuturing and quality education to our school community.
In 2003, HES opened its doors to welcome students to a new state-of-the-art facility with all the space and amenities a 21st century school can offer. HES students attend school for 180 days each year. In the year-round schedule, students attend school for approximately nine weeks and have a three week break between sessions. These breaks, referred to as “intersessions,” offer 1 week of extended learning opportunities. Students may attend grade level sessions to enrich their knowledge of the North Carolina curriculum.
HES is a uniform school, which means that the students are required to wear uniform colors. The required colors are white and navy blue shirts and khaki or navy blue pants or skirts, which must be free of all logos and symbols. Additionally, boys must have a collar on their shirt and everyone must have shirt tails tucked in. Wearing uniforms creates a positive impact in the attitudes of our students.